The transition from warm weather and being outside the majority of the time can be difficult when adjusting to the upcoming colder months. Staying active seems to be easier in the summertime, but as autumn peaks around the corner, it becomes more of a mindful task to keep moving.
If you need some ideas on how to help ease the change and maintain a healthy lifestyle throughout the next season, then these five tips for activities and overall wellness are for you:
- Boost Your Immune System. Autumn is notorious as the flu and cold season, but luckily there are preventative measures you can take to keep your body protected from the viruses. The basic recommendations to help increase the immune system are fueling your body with nutrient-based whole foods like vegetables and proteins, washing your hands often to counteract germs, and drinking plenty of water to stay hydrated and flush out any toxins in your body. Also, establishing a regular sleep routine to ensure there is enough time to rest, restore, and rejuvenate your body.
- Supplements. The natural sunlight helps produce Vitamin D. During the fall season, it’s more challenging to spend time outside due to the cold weather and there’s generally a lower intake of this vitamin. The benefits of Vitamin D, also known as the “sunshine vitamin,” is reducing depression symptoms when regulating one’s mood, fighting off diseases by helping to boost the body’s immune system, preventing the risk of heart disease, and enabling your weight loss journey by having an appetite-suppressing effect.
- Vitamin A. This vitamin is another miracle nutrient when playing a major role in maintaining healthy skin while building an impenetrable defense against viruses, bacteria, and a variety of other germs. Skin is the body’s protective barrier against all of these and very important in keeping a healthy immune system. The intake of seasonal foods like squash, carrots, and sweet potatoes can help with Vitamin A intake as well.
- Stay Moving! A great way to combat the upcoming months is by engaging the body and keeping it moving through moderately intense exercises. The recommendation is five, 30-minute cardio sessions per week and incorporating at least two strength-training workouts into your fitness routine. The cold weather may make outdoor activities a bit more difficult, but try to embrace the changing of seasons by taking a leisurely walk around the neighborhood or going on a nature hike to view the beautiful scenery.
If you find this a bit challenging, there are a variety of indoor options that will also keep you active. The utilization of local facilities for fitness classes like pilates, cycling, and yoga are some examples. Also, try searching at-home workout videos on YouTube for instructional exercises and how to get started today!
- Cleansing Your Gut. A vital part of the body’s immune system can be found in gut health and needs to be prioritized in your daily routine. The intake of probiotics by nutrient-based foods or supplements can aid in digestion, decrease the severity of illnesses, and reduce inflammation. All-natural healing remedies that allow the body to detox bacteria (such as ginger, lemon, and turmeric) are great ways to boost energy and immunity to fight off viruses in the colder months. If you have questions in regard to detoxing and improving your overall gut’s health, schedule a free call with a Ketality health coach to discuss how we can improve your gut health.
- Be Kind to Yourself. The upcoming months can cause adjustments to your day-to-day routine, so consider taking this time to slow down and focus on conserving the energy for paying attention to your body’s specific needs. Although daily exercise is beneficial for your health, there needs to be a sufficient amount of rest as well to maintain a balanced lifestyle. If you are feeling sluggish, then initially try simple things like eating a well-rounded, nutritious diet and drinking plenty of water. Some other ways to get started with moving your body are meditation practices or local yoga classes.
If you need help with creating a new lifestyle and fitness routine for the upcoming autumn season, then schedule a FREE virtual consultation with a Ketality health coach to get started today.
Tips for boosting your and your family's immune systems to help you thrive throughout this flu season.