Simple Steps to Boost Your Immune System
Nutrition and lifestyle have a huge impact on our bodies and our immune systems.
The foods you ingest play a massive role in the way your body functions. If you have a weak immune system, you’re at risk of getting sick frequently, you often feel tired, and your wounds are slow to heal.
This is exactly what we don’t want.
Below are lifestyle recommendations and dietary tips to strengthen your immune system and keep sickness and lethargy at bay.
- Stress can largely contribute to a weakened immune system. Avoid or reduce chronic stress and frequency of stressful situations. Relax as much as can through daily habits, like meditation, yoga, or walking. There are countless free resources available online for guided meditations, yoga classes, and exercise programs.
- Remove or reduce refined sugars from your diet. Sugar is in more than you think -- be sure to check food labels often.
- Avoid exhaustion or sleep deprivation. Most adults need 7-9 hours of sleep per night, regularly. Sleep is a major healer!
- Drink lots of water! Our bodies are mostly composed of water. We need to replenish our water often.
- Avoid alcohol, which weakens the immune system.
- Find an exercise program that you like, whether it’s walking or running outside (sunshine and the outdoors are great for us!), an online yoga class, or hitting the gym.
- Practice meditation, gratitude, and compassion. Our mindset dictates our health in more ways than one. Start your day with three things you’re thankful for and make it a point to show both love and compassion to yourself and others.
- Eat foods rich in lysine (an antiviral nutrient), like apples, avocados, beets, apricots, mangoes, figs, tomatoes, and papaya.
- Vitamin C, vitamin C, vitamin C! Eat foods high in vitamin C, like strawberries, kiwi, papaya, oranges, kale, broccoli, blackcurrant, guava, green pepper, and red pepper.
- Consume foods high in zinc, like pumpkin seed, sea food, sea vegetables, lentil and legumes, and beans, if your diet allows.
- Avoid added hormones and antibiotics. Aim to buy organic, hormone and antibiotic-free animal products.
- Avoid high amounts of the amino acid arginine, which depletes lysine, the antiviral nutrient. Foods high in arginine are foods like chocolate or cashews.
- Steer clear of artificial sweeteners and refined sugars, and replace with a natural sweetener, like Stevia.
- Lower your intake of caffeine, fruit juices, and soda.
- Opt for whole grains instead of refined, white flower products.
- Consume antioxidants! Adequate amounts can be found through 5+ servings of vegetables and fruit, or through nutritional powders or supplements.
Eat healthy fats—like nuts, seeds, or avocados—and proteins to balance your blood sugar.
Looking for other dietary tips, key supplements, or a lifestyle change to achieve optimal health? Book your FREE call with a Ketality health coach today to discuss how we can help you reach your goals and fortify your immunity.